Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Special times, special people, special places

My dad's birthday was sunday,March 15th. Now,usually you will find me in church on sundays, but I was peer pressured into going out to our cabin at the lake to celebrate my dad's birthday. :) ok, so I wasn't pressured. I LOVE my dad, and sadly don't get to see him that much, so of course I wanted to go. My grandma and aunt from Utah were going to be there as well, and it's been a while since I'd seen them too. So my sister and I packed up our kids and headed out. We had a lot of fun hanging out. My uncle that is from Roy, UT has been working here in Vegas for a few months and brought his fourwheelers down for us to play with while he is here, so we were riding the fourwheelers around and down to the lake. It was so much fun.! Had some races, rode my son around, he LOVES it. My sister took him on one and I actually got to ride alone, and actually RIDE... and Kaiden kept wanting to race! He was telling my sister,"GO FASTER! GO FASTER! WE NEED TO BEAT HER! lol Sadly, my uncle will be leaving in the next couple of weeks and will be taking the fourwheelers with him. :( I so need to get me some! ha. It was a great day, a lot of relaxing which in itself was amazing, got good pics, great family time and some refreshing wind blowing in my face fourwheelin time! ahhh life is great! My grandma got a cake for my dad and since my dad always gets cakes from sams club and has photos put on them for my grandma, she decided to do her own version and put actual photos on the cake. It was so cute! My grandma is so cute! We took the photos off before consuming of course. :) It was a great day!

Now, maybe I ought to give some background to this "cabin".. My great grandpa and grandpa started building it in 1954 and finished it in 1955. It later had a room added on and the time of that I don't know. It is a small place, but it is our haven and home away from home. I have many many memories there going back to when I was 7 or 8, but I have been going out there since I was born. We have big family gatherings out there and it gets cramped, but there's nothing better! The big gatherings have started to dwindle as there are so many families and they continue to grow so much and it's hard with everyone's schedules, but the times shared there are still very much cherished. It is many of our family members' favorite place to go, especially my grandma and grandpa. It's bitter sweet for everyone to be out there now as my grandpa passed away last June. He is much like my dad, quiet and loving in his own ways, but you always knew you were loved and he loved being out there,fishin and seeing family. I miss him more than I can express and find myself emotional a lot when I think of him. I can't wait to see him again!! For now, I will cherish every moment I am able to have at his cabin and remember all our times together. We've had many holidays at the cabin, but an annual tradition is Easter. My son, Kaiden, has spent every Easter of his life out there and I hope it continues. Here in about 3 1/2 weeks he'll be spending his 7th Easter there! It's great!..we send kids out to find easter eggs on cactuses.. haha some think it morbid, but that's how I grew up and I love it! I guess it's not just cactuses, but that's what makes it interesting when we tell people. The cabin is on a good amount of land and we search for eggs, rubber animals, and money all around the cabin and surrounding desert land. It's awesome! More will come of Easter time in a few weeks I'm sure and I will post some pics later as well. There are so many stories to tell about the cabin and holidays and family times out there I could be writing this all day.. well, I'm at work and my lunch break is about over. :) I will get some pics posted soon, hopefully THAT isn't too hard to figure out! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll be making it out to the cabin this easter. Kaiden will be safe from that mean easter egg hider this year. ;P *haha*

I didn't know Dale was STILL out there! When is the est. when he's leaving now?

p.s. Joey went and bought himself an ATV a few weeks back. You can always come out here and ride! ;D

~Heidi~ said...

est. time is within the next couple of weeks. Actually, he's done now, and will take a couple weeks to move.. said something like a few trips so who knows.. :)